Netflix “Error N8156-6013” Resolution

netflix-logoA seemingly pervasive problem purportedly caused by a recent update to Silverlight, the Netflix streaming player bombed-out on me this evening, whinging about “Error N8156-6013” and complaining that it had issues both with playing DRM content and — for reasons which transcend reason — the date on my (virtual) computer. The solution was simple enough. Delete the following small file:

I was back to cackling irreverently at Archer in no time.

  16 comments for “Netflix “Error N8156-6013” Resolution

  1. November 19, 2010 at 21:58

    Thanks! worked like a charm…

  2. November 26, 2010 at 22:59

    Worked Great! Thanks so much for posting this!

  3. Joe
    December 4, 2010 at 13:56

    :::Heavenly music & a beam of light comes from the sky, shining down on the Computer:::

    It’s a Miracle!!!

    You’re the Best, & Thank you Sooo Much!!!!

    P.S. People already had me run a bat file & uninstall/reinstall Silverlight, but it was your solution that saved the day!

  4. December 18, 2010 at 09:04

    The above fix worked great for me as well, but I’m not running a Windows 2000/XP machine either.

    For those using Vista or a Win 7 platform, the path will be:

    C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds

    It’s quite possible you may have some access denied messages pop up even though you may be logged in as a local administrator. The default owner of the “All Users” folder and all child objects is SYSTEM with not even the local administrator’s group having read access. If that’s the case, you’ll have to go to the “All Users” folder and either replace the owner with the user currently logged in (will require being a local admin) or grant full control and replace all inheritable rights down to all child objects.

  5. Leo
    December 18, 2010 at 20:59

    Worked!

    Win XA: tried the .bat file fix, Slilverlight 3.0 Developer Edition SDK install (4.0 would install over it after the next Netflix start) and other solutions without complete success.

    Deleting mspr.hds solved the problem under Sllverlight 4.0. Seemed too easy, so I tried it as the last resort. Thanks.

  6. December 18, 2010 at 22:32

    It worked perfectly.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

  7. January 8, 2011 at 01:17

    worked..I have IE8….thanks for your help.

  8. January 18, 2011 at 19:46

    Gosh that worked like a charm! Thank you so much this had been driving me crazy. I updated my CPU and was no longer able to watch movies. Thanks thanks thanks!!

  9. Joe
    February 18, 2011 at 19:53

    You are a God among men

  10. Sam
    February 19, 2011 at 16:44

    For Windows 7 users the correct path is:
    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\PlayReady\

    To see the All Users folder you need to:
    press Alt – go to Tools – then Folder options – then the View Tab – Uncheck box that says: Hide protected operating system files

  11. March 27, 2011 at 11:23

    Thanks a million! I was wondering why all of a sudden I got that error … deleting that small file did the trick! I am using XP and firefox. 🙂

  12. March 28, 2011 at 21:08

    Thanks, it also works for macs, the location is Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/

  13. April 5, 2011 at 18:34

    Thanks so much for this, just migrated over to a new macbook pro and this worked perfectly!

  14. April 7, 2011 at 20:18

    This Worked for me as well…!!

  15. April 19, 2011 at 23:53

    THANKS! Tried reinstalling an older version of silverlight, but this did the job!

  16. June 28, 2014 at 01:42

    I must tell you that it’s hard to find your articles in google,
    i found this one on 14 spot, you should build some quality backlinks
    in order to rank your webiste, i know how to help you,
    just search in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

Leave a Reply